Sunday, August 29

Lamb and Eggplant Soup

The other day when I was in the post office waiting for my turn to receive a package I entertained myself at the magazine counter (oh no! this sounds like potential shopping...) and could not resist not buying (oh yes!) a little recipe book devoted entirely to eggplant dishes!

After post office I headed straight to the supermarket to buy all the ingredients i needed for the LAMB AND EGGPLANT SOUP. The ones who know me in person can just imagine the excitement that took over me. And a few hours later done it was and I must say the flavour of the soup got better with every day.

The original recipe states lamb ribs, but I bought some other piece instead which also contained bone, which is good when you are making broth.

DSC04203

So in short:

500 g of lamb

2 eggplants

1 onion

3 garlic cloves

1 carrot

3 potatoes

1 tomato

1 bay leaf

2 tbs flour

salt pepper

olive oil

First I made the broth from the lamb. I cooked the lamb in water for a bit over an hour but later realised this was too little and I suggest cooking the broth for 2 hours. Of course it depends of the piece of lamb you are using as well. Make sure you remove all the foam that forms on top of the liquid.

While your broth is in the making you can go ahead with the rest of the ingredients. Cut the eggplant, onions, carrots, garlic, potatoes and tomato into small pieces. Toss the eggplants in the flour and fry in olive oil. About 10 minutes.

Fry the onions, carrots and garlic. In the end add tomato and let simmer a few minutes.

When the broth is ready, remove meat and add potatoes and 10 minutes later eggplants and other vegetables as well as bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.

I cut the meat into pieces and added back to the soup. Taste again to check whether you have enough salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf once you have turned off the heat and let stand for 20 minutes if you have the patience.

Great choice for cold weather I must say. Done now with my praise talk.. :)

No comments: