Saturday, April 24

Life is Creme Brulee!

 

Like one of my friend always says when life's great - it's creme brulee! And it really is creme brulee when so little effort is needed for making it. I have done creme brulee several times and always felt afterwards it was so much effort and this week it came out so effortlessly. To be completely honest I only did it because I had some egg yolks left over after my grand macaroon making project (success!) and this seemed like the perfect solution.

creme brule

makes 2 portions (if you have bigger ramekins)

2 egg yolks

2 dl heavy cream (35%)

2 tbsp sugar

1,5 tsp vanilla sugar

Topping: sugar (I used Muscovado)

Preheat the oven to 160 C. Whip egg yolks with sugar and vanilla. Heat up  the whipping cream until boiling, let cool for some minutes and then carefully mix with the egg yolk. You have to be careful while doing this, so that the eggs blend in and not turn into pieces (I am sure there's a perfect English word for it, but I cannot recall it at the moment). It will be a problem, if the cream is to hot. So pour slowly while mixing continuously.

Pour the mixture into the ramekins. Place the ramekins into a large cake pan or roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake just until the creme brulee is set, but still trembling in the center, approximately 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the roasting pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.

Prior to serving. If you do not have a torch (like me), then preheat the oven at grill mode to 250-300 C. Meanwhile, put some sugar on top of creme brulee and spread evenly. Allow it brown in oven for a few minutes, until sugar has caramelized. Let cool before serving.

If you are like me, then now is the time to put on those new hot platform pumps you recently shopped yourself, turn on some volume with Jazzanova "I Can See" and dance around the room with your creme brulee or be normal and invite some friends over for coffee. I did both actually! :)

1 comment:

Kairi Look said...

v2ga kreembrylee post ja muusikasoovitus ka!
kas mai lopus oled eestis? teeks yhe hedonistliku louna/ohtus88gi? ;)