Here's a post that has been unjustly long due about my cooking class in Thailand where the tricks of cooking like a real Thai were shown to me by a cheeky local cook. Apart from a few good laughs I also realised that Thai cooking is actually very simple and done the right way you get a very fresh dish quite quickly. So I did get over my fear of cooking Thai food, since it always seemed so complicated due to the massive amount of different flavours in each dish.
As a responsible and good girl I photographed pretty much every step, so you will be able to get a good visual of what was taking place.
Your shopping list for Spicy Prawn Soup (5 portions):
10 pcs. fresh prawns
100 gr. mushrooms, cut into straws
10 pcs. lemongrass, sliced (mash with knife the part of the root, so the juices come out)
6 pcs. kaffir lime leaves
2 tbs. lime juice
4 tbs. fish sauce
6 pcs. dried chili
1/2 l chicken stock
3 pcs. ginger root
1 pcs. coriander root
10 pcs coriander leaves
3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped roughly
2 small purple onions, cut (as seen in photo above)
2 tbs. vegetable oil
What you do:
1. Peel and wash the prawns.
2. Heat half of the chicken stock.
3. Add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger root, coriander root, tomatoes, onions and chili.
3. Heat for two minutes, add the prawns and cook a while.
4. Add the rest of the chicken stock and simmer gently for 3 minutes.
5. Add straw mushrooms and season with lime juice and fish sauce.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.
7. This babe is served HOT!